Floor 1: Overview - Courageous Pages Children's Area
Published: Oct 13, 2017
Posted In: Background
Low-tech and high-touch, Courageous Pages is designed to maximize both children’s enjoyment and their learning through a series of fun games and interactive features, all pointing to one continuous theme: courage. The area is geared to show kids the Bible is packed with stories and people who dug deep and did what they believed was right, even in the face of fear or opposition. Children read, hear, see and experience stories in which small, courageous choices resulted in big victories, all while tired parents can catch a breather while their children play.
Size and Content
Courageous Pages has 2,176 square feet of exhibit space and 12 featured areas of interest.
Areas Within Courageous Pages
- The Book of Books: An elaborate centerpiece that ties the entire area together, this hand-fabricated marvel features a book on a pedestal with a whirlwind of pages emanating up and out of it, being “scattered” around the entire Courageous Pages area.
- Walking on Water: This is a mesmerizing illusion that uses high-end technology to project a watery surface in the middle of Courageous Pages. Kids marvel as they stand “atop” the water and inspect the animated marine life below them.
- From the Pit to the Palace: This pedestal game uses a maze and a rolling ball to tell the story of Joseph, from his coat of many colors to his various imprisonments to his ascent as second-in-command of all Egypt.
- Get the Fish in the Boat: This is another pedestal game that uses active gameplay to teach players the story of the miraculous catch of fish.
- Spies in the Land: This is a two-player cooperative game where players must work together as a team to escort spies out of the land of Jericho to safety.
- Samson Pillars: These clever illusions allow children to imagine themselves with super strength. Kids push against two columns and watch them safely buckle before springing back in time for the next player. A great photo opportunity!
- David and Goliath (game): This game puts players in the center of the action of this well-known story as they pitch soft “stones” at a mobile Goliath target.
- Daniel and the Lions’ Den (game): A Hebrew Bible version of the classic beanbag toss, this game lets players pitch soft objects into the mouths of some not-too-terrifying lions.
- Get Esther to the King (game): While skillfully rolling a ball down an extended platform without falling off, players take in the story of brave Queen Esther meeting King Xerxes.
- Fishes and Loaves (game): This creative take on skee ball switches out rolling balls for tossing “loaves” and “fish” to increase a player’s score, all while simultaneously telling the story of the time Jesus fed a multitude.
- Young People of the Bible: This interactive feature introduces kids to other kids found in the Bible. Guests have to solve a mystery with only a couple of clues, so they have to think sharply!
- Noah’s Ark Toddler Area: We cannot forget the little ones, so Courageous Pages features an entire area dedicated to toddlers with engaging animal artwork, a two-story playscape and four delightful games that are great for little hands and developing minds.
Outside the Walking on Water feature, the entirety of Courageous Pages was designed to use simple mechanics. It has rolling balls and levers, knobs and dials, pencils and paper—and all of it created specifically for Museum of the Bible with the input of child development and education specialists and built from scratch by JMC craftspeople and artisans. Children will be mesmerized by the variety of games and interactives, while exploring the stories of the Bible.
Courageous Pages was designed by JMC Museum Arts, a division of Jonathan Martin Creative Inc. of Nashville, Tennessee, which provides planning, research, design and implementation services to museums, theme parks and a host of nonprofit entities in North America and around the world.